Thursday, March 19, 2009

40-Day Series: Thank You Glen Boney

The first time I met Glen was when I was part of a team interviewing him. He was so impressive and we didn't hesitate to vote to have him join our group. Glen is from Mississippi, loves fried squid (which has the most "unique" smell), and is one of the kindest men I have ever known. He is also a retired Army Lt. Colonel, smart as hell and can tell a joke better than any stand-up comedian on the circuit. Oh, did I say he is one of the kindest men I have ever known?

Glen would leave our team following a promotion to manager. He could have moved to the executive branch but didn't want to deal with the bullshit. He would end up being instrumental in helping me not get just one job but two. His first effort was helping me get an interview with Tim Lunsford. He really went to bat for me as Tim already had his pick in mind. His second effort was getting my dream job working for Kathy Walker. Glen was working on her presentations and I was always dropping by trying to learn about what he was doing. He would transition the presentation responsibility over to me which ultimately led me to getting the staff manager gig. I never understood why he was always so willing to help me but I am forever grateful for his support.

Not only did he help me get the two gigs but he always provided a listening ear, valuable advice and even a hug now and then to raise my spirit. He had the best stories and wasn't afraid to laugh at himself. He encouraged me to embrace the value of the meeting before the meeting. He knew how to really truly help people in the most unconditional way. He taught me the power of selflessness and how to kill em' with kindness. Did I tell you he was the one of the kindest man I have never known?

Golden Nugget: Give help and support unconditionally

No comments: