Tuesday, April 7, 2009

40-Day Series: Thank You Fred Harris

Fred was one of the best human beings I ever had the pleasure to work for. He was so much more than his title. He had lost his son to leukemia, the kind that doesn’t give you very much notice. He helped start the Heart of America Bone Marrow registry to honor him. The lives he has touched are many and I feel honored to have had the privilege to learn from him.

Fred and I shared a passion for quality…we believed company performance was directly tied to the quality of an organization’s strategy, processes and measurements. Sprint at the time was a big proponent of the Malcolm Baldridge Chairman Quality Award. Fred sponsored me to become a certified CQA examiner so I could bring the lessons back to his organization. What an amazing experience! As if that wasn’t enough he then accepted my proposal to create a CQA task force within his organization. He didn’t just ask one of his directors to participate; he requested that they all become involved. Some of my ideas weren’t very corporate…like the toy horns and hats I had the team wear at a milestone meeting but there was Fred wearing the hat and tooting the horn.

His guidance, never-ending support, and encouragement were somewhat rare for a man at his level to give to a junior level employee. But that was Fred, he didn’t try to fit the corporate norm…he was his own man, with his own idear’s, and wasn’t afraid to speak out on what he thought was important. There was one time he even brought up heaven at an all organization conference. His point was to get us to think about how we might be measured at the end of our life. He asked that if we were spending the majority of our life at work shouldn’t we be mindful of how we act to others as well as perform? That moment alone told me what an incredible man he was. I had the pleasure to witness his words in action and I’m a better person because of it.

Golden Nugget: Think twice about how you treat your co-workers

Be who you are and learn to be better,

Lisa

No comments: