Sunday, April 5, 2009

40-Day Series: Thank You Jay Bluhm

I think Jay and I were brother and sister in a previous life. We had a connection that was rare in the corporate world. I even received coaching one time to be careful with being perceived as Jay's little sister. I understood the concern but honestly thought of it as a compliment. In some ways I really did look up to Jay as if he was a big brother. I only have one sister and always wanted a brother and in many ways Jay served in that role.

He offered support, encouragement, tough love, and even protection when needed. He introduced me to the Business Professional Certification program which would change my life. He coached me, taught me and connected me to new people. He made me laugh...a lot. He drank beer with me, found me a hotel room when I was stranded in D.C., and listened to me. All of this and I never worked directly for the man or even on his team. In fact, there were a few times where I may have caused him some stress through escalations and red risk assessments. And yet, through it all he was there sharing advice and always guiding.

I don't see Jay as often these days since I left Sprint a year ago. He is still there busting his ass to make sure good things happen through some of the biggest obstacles he has ever had to face. His success often times results in additional responsibility, bigger teams and a huge work load. He accepts it all as he believes it gives him more opportunity to make a difference. I can tell you first hand he takes full advantage of every one of those "opportunities" and DOES make a difference. I miss our chats, our weekly beer sessions and his laugh. But as a little sister I am so proud of what he is doing and know that when I need him he'll be there.

Golden Nugget: Appreciate the time spent with your siblings

Be who you are and learn to be better,
Lisa

1 comment:

cc said...

I also had the the good fortune to meet a Jay Bluhm whos strength and courage inspired me in an errily simmilar fashion. The heart is not measured by how much you love but by how much you are loved.