Tuesday, April 7, 2009

40-Day Series: Thank You Jo Blagovich

I honestly do not know where to even start when writing about Ms. Blagovich. Dame. A real life dame. If you asked me one word to describe Jo that is what I would answer. She is smart, fearless, fun, and makes things happen. A leader who does not apologize for her high standards. She can be a bit intimidating when she wants to be. She would give me my big break in the corporate world by hiring me in to my first salary position.

I was assigned to a position that I knew nothing about and I'm not exaggerating...I really knew nothing. Fortunately I had many people around to help me but the learning curve was long. I was responsible for frame relay migrations with my primary focus advocating for our B2B customers. We had capacity issues that kept delaying migration schedules so I came up with a report to track the issues. Typically you have a stoplight report that reflects green, yellow and red issues but Jo was color blind. Now before I continue with this story I have to tell another story to give color (no pun intended) to the situation.

Weeks before I created the report I fell asleep at my desk. I had come off a very long weekend with no sleep and was asked to read some really awful, long and boring requirements document. While reading I dozed off. Of course Jo happened to walk by and busted me. I was still relatively new and was scared I was going to get fired. My manager told me I wasn't going to be fired but that I would have a long road to recover with Jo. Now back to the report story.

So I knew I had this one opportunity to impress Jo. I also knew she was a hard woman to impress and the odds were against me after the "resting my eyes" incident. Knowing she was color blind I made the report in shades of purple. She loved it. She fondly called it the "Barney Report" named after the popular kids dinosaur show at the time. I still had a ways to go to earn her trust but the recovery had begun. To this day she loves to tell the sleeping story.

Jo would become a HUGE influence in my career. She was my Sprint angel...watching over me as I moved job to job. Always answering my call and willing to meet with me when I needed her wisdom. She never held back and if I needed to hear the hard truth she was the one to tell it to me. I love this woman. I can't say it anymore simple than that...I love Jo. I think we are kindred spirits from a previous life...we share a name, work philosophies, and enjoy downtime fun. I would never had the career I had without Jo. I wouldn't be a business owner today. Thank you doesn't come close to representing how much I appreciate her. I thank God often for bringing this dame in to my life and showing me the way.

Golden Nugget: Give people second chances.

Be who you are and learn to be better,
Lisa

No comments: